Need a Static IP ?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Mar 21 22:51:34 UTC 2002

In article <a7dna2$7a2 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, sam <s4msure at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Do I need a static IP for my NameServer(theBind9.2 server witch connects to
>the Internet) to acces my hosts from the Internet?

It depends on the situation.  If the nameserver's name is in the domain it
hosts (e.g. you're hosting foo.com, and the server is named ns1.foo.com),
then you'll need a glue record in the parent domain (the COM domain), so
the maintainer of that domain will need to enter your server's address
there.

But an alternative would be to delegate the domain to a dyndns.org name, so
that it will automatically track your IP address changes.  However, it may
not be possible for you to register a 2nd-level domain (e.g. foo.com) like
this; the registrar needs you to register the server hostname before you
reference it in a domain registration, and only the owner of the domain
containing the server name can register it (i.e. only the owners of
dyndns.org can register yourname.dyndns.org hosts).

>						    What if the ip changes
>everytime I reboot the NS, do I have to change the IP in the named.conf ?

What IP in named.conf?  If you mean on the slave server, the answer is yes.

>Can I get a Static IP anyone otherh than my ISP?

Probably not unless you can justify a /20 block (about 4,000 IP addresses).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA