No server name display in NSLookup?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Mar 21 20:14:41 UTC 2002

In article <a7deaj$64e at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Steven Lai <slai at sceptre.com> wrote:
>Thanks for helping! Here is my named.conf file.
>zone "33-63.32.31.119.65.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>	type master;
>	file "65.119.31.33-64";
>};

You seem to be set up for RFC 2317-style reverse DNS, but your ISP hasn't
configured the delegation for it.  Reverse DNS for subnets requires that
the delegation be in place, even when you're querying the server that's
authoritative for the subnet, because the CNAME records in the parent
domain are needed to determine that this subdomain is where the reverse DNS
lives.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA