Why different Authoritative answers are given,help

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 21 18:05:54 UTC 2002

lhzhou wrote:

> hello,experts:

flattery - urm we aren't all experts, but I see something odd.

>       Here I get two NS server(BIND8.2.2)

Well upgrade them to something more recent (BIND 9.2.0 perhaps?)

> resolve a domain name :www.163.com.

163.com is hosted on nease.net nameservers.

The something is wrong with the nease.net nameserver config.

ns2.nease.net is returning an invalid IP address for itself.
This is the IP address you tried using nslookup (dig is much
better than nslookup).

Also odd is ns2.nease.net has the same SOA serial number for
ns.nease.net?! So presumably they were doing something unusual
in their DNS management to get different answers from both
servers.

BIND itself should hopefully try the other name server, so I
think you should still be able to surf www.163.com, but the
nease.net admins will find things work faster and smoother if
they correct the entry for ns2.nease.net on ns2.nease.net.

i.e.
dig @211.94.33.193 www.163.com +short
202.108.36.202
202.108.42.63