9.2.0 - error sending response: not enough free resources

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sun Mar 17 15:25:05 UTC 2002

Merlin <robert at quantum-radio.net.au> wrote:
> I'm not real close up on the config file syntax for 9.2.0, but believe I may
> need to set the
> size_spec

> option. I'm finding the system is running out of resources, and perhaps I
> may need to increase? decrease ? the cache size

> Mar 16 07:48:03 nanguo named[69]: client 207.173.86.2#53: error sending
> response: not enough free resources

There is more resources then MBUF's ( which you don't see, to lack.

How about the "limit's" for named ?
I get :
> limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        524288 kbytes
stacksize       65536 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       unlimited
descriptors     957
memorylocked    unlimited
maxproc         478
On a 4.4 : FreeBSD zap.manet.nu 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #1: Thu Jan 17 21:27:09 CET 2002     root at zap.manet.nu:/usr/src/sys/compile/ZAP  i386

which is funny since my login.conf specifically uses "umlimited' ...

A datasize limit of 524288 would stop a nameserver after a while.

Sorry about not beeing able to solve your problem, but this is a road
to follow. Try : limit datasize unlimited before starting named and
see if named can grow above the size it has now. If so then the
default limits should be changed. ( if you run named as user named, go
for an entry for "named" in /etc/login.conf )

/etc/login.conf seems to be a hashed database, cap_mkdb seems to
be used to rebuild the database. ( in 4.3 i don't see a hached database
at all )

peter h

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)