* in zone file

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Sun Mar 17 03:55:46 UTC 2002

"Doug Barton" <DougB at DougBarton.net> wrote in message
news:a70ql3$s06 at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Sierp wrote:
>

> > Hello
> >
> > I ve got little problem..
> > My zone file is
> >
> > $TTL 86400
> > domena.pl.  IN  SOA  dns.domena2.pl. sierp.admin.pl. (
> >                                         2002031601      ; serial
> >                                         3H              ; refresh
> >                                         15M             ; retry
> >                                         1W              ; expiry
> >                                         1D )            ; minimum
> >                 NS      dns.domena2.pl.
> >                 NS      dns.domena3.pl.
> >                 MX      10 dns.domena.pl.
> >
> > @               A       ip.number
> >
> > pop3            A       ip.number
> > smtp            A       ip.number
> > localhost       A       127.0.0.1
> > www             A       ip.number
> >
> > *               A        ip.number
> >
> > The bind is 8.2.5 version. The problem is, that when I ping this host
> > it works fine. When I write in IE www.ddd.domena.pl it works too,
>
> This is working due to some trick of your local resolver.
> *.domena.pl won't resolve www.ddd.domena.pl, wildcards don't work like
> that.

Sure they do.  We have a proxy server that relies on this behavior.

$ dig @ns1.elgin.edu
absolutely.any.sub.domain.that.has.no.other.records.rlrc-proxy.elgin.edu
;; ANSWER SECTION:
absolutely.any.sub.domain.that.has.no.other.records.rlrc-proxy.elgin.edu.
3600 IN A 64.107.37.8

As you know, dig doesn't use the local resolver.

> > but when I'm using proxy server (from my ISP) it doesn't work.
> > The messege is that IE couldn't fine IP address of the host
> > www.ddd.domena.pl
> > Is there anything that I could do about it?

The zone data you post here has a different SOA record than what I see on
ns1.popnet.pl.  Are you using split DNS?  Does the wildcard record exist in
the public view?