Bind 8.2.3 Startup Script

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Thu Mar 14 17:44:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 12:26:24PM -0500, Do, Ho cao (CIT) wrote:

> Please go to /etc/rc2.d directory
> Modify the file name "S72inetsvc"
> Search for the line "if [-f /usr/sbin/in.named -a -f /etc/named.conf]"
> Change the line that contains "/usr/sbin/in.named" to your absolute =
> path
> that contains the named daemon.

Please don't. Modifying vendor supplied startup scripts is a mistake.
When you upgrade, or a patch comes out that replaces that file, your
changes will be lost unless you've remembered to have something recreate
them. Far, far better to create your own startup script.

Come on, people. Creating startup scripts is simple, basic System
Administration 101. If there's no one in your organization who knows how
to do it, you sort of need to be thinking about your personnel
requirements.

-Pete
--
"religious fanatics are not part of my desired user base."
- djb at cr.yp.to