name resolution problem with 2 of my 3 DNS servers

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Mar 13 19:57:30 UTC 2002

In article <a6oa1l$i98 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
ListServ <rbarnes-list at blazenet.net> wrote:
>from 2 of my boxes, I can't resolve www.alloyventures.com  The third boxes
>seems to work every time, while the other 2 boxes don't seem to ever work.

This domain has configuration problems.

First of all, the domain is delegated to three servers:

alloyventures.com.	2D IN NS	NS2.BRAINSTORM.NET.
alloyventures.com.	2D IN NS	NS1.ALLOYED.com.
alloyventures.com.	2D IN NS	NS2.ALLOYED.com.

But only ns2.brainstorm.net is responding to queries.

Second, the NS records in the domain don't match the delegation:

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
alloyventures.com.	1H IN NS	ns1.alloyventures.com.

Since this nameserver is in the domain being served, a glue record is
needed in the parent domain, but none exists.

Problems like this are likely to result in transient failures.  In your
case, it happened to hit 2 of your boxes, but not the third; it depends on
what happens to be in its cache when someone tries to look up the name for
the first time.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA