Running caching named and sendmail together - problem?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 12 22:48:46 UTC 2002

named tends to be memory-hungry, especially if you're talking about a
caching server. sendmail tends to use all types of resources (CPU, memory,
I/O), but under certain circumstances (e.g. when hit with a large
"spike" of incoming traffic) can also be memory intensive. As a general
rule, I'd stay away from putting those functions on the same box, but of
course if the box has memory to burn, combining them might make sense
economically...

- Kevin