Same instnace of bind working as both master/slave

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Mar 12 22:47:18 UTC 2002

In article <a6lvqa$4b5 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, sj <santosjha at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I am new to bind/dns technology. I was wondering can I configure same
>instance of bind as both master/slave. I mean master for a set of
>slave servers and slave for another master server, where from it will
>get its update.

I think I misunderstood your question in my previous response.  Now that I
reread it, I think you mean ServerA transfers a zone from ServerB, and
ServerB transfers it from ServerC.

Yes, you can do this.  You can perform a zone transfer from any
authoritative server, and both masters and slaves are authoritative.  We
use this setup for all domains where our customers are primary: we have a
single server (whose name is not advertised in NS records) that performs
zone transfers from the customers' masters, and then the advertised servers
perform zone transfers from this single server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA