Update: Can't compile BIND 8.3.1 under Solaris 8

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Tue Mar 12 21:20:26 UTC 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 03:59:14PM -0500, John Heiden wrote:

> How can I use the "right" assembler with this then?  I'm at a loss of how I
> would do this.  I have never ever (not even once) used assembler on a SUN
> before.  I have done VAX assembler, Intel and Motorola assembler.
> I have written a lot of C code under Solaris.  I am at a total loss as to what
> I need to do to use "the right" assembler here.  Any ideas?  In fact, when
> I last installed BIND, I didn't have this problem.  Actually, I had installed
> it on a Tru64 server, and it was BIND 8.2.2 and 8.2.3, but still same ideas.

Install pkg-get from http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/pkg-get.html, then
you can automate the retrieval and installation of gnu tools from
sunfreeware.com. Once that's installed type:

# pkg-get install binutils

Then make sure that /usr/local/bin is ahead of /usr/ccs/bin in your path
when you compile BIND.

Using pkg-get is optional, but worth your while.
--
Nate

To sysadmin or not to sysadmin... that is the question, whether tis
nobler in the minde to suffer the slings and arrowes of outragious
fortune, or climb to the top of the building with a high-power rifle
and scope.