Strange dns issue with sendmail - Any opinions?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Mar 12 20:58:15 UTC 2002

When sendmail starts up, it tries to obtain the FQDN of the local box.
Apparently myname.fips.com resolves to an address, so, in the absence of an
FQDN in /etc/hosts and a default domain of fips.com, sendmail is being deluded
into thinking that its name is myname.fips.com. But that's probably not the
name you want.

What is the FQDN of your machine? You should put that in /etc/hosts so that
sendmail can determine your FQDN without having to query DNS at all.

- Kevin