Using named_dump.db to preserve cache across reboots

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Mar 12 18:17:14 UTC 2002

In article <a6lcj9$dh at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Mr Toad  <rat_love_cat at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>The reason for wanting to preserve the cache is because, over time, my
>nameserver builds up a rich cache which speeds up lookups for
>commonly-requested names.  Now if I reboot the machine, that cache is
>lost and will take time to grow back.  I would prefer to be able to
>preserve the cache across reboots so that it is not lost.

The time it would take to read in a huge cache file (our dump files are
usually hundreds of megabytes) and recreate all the cache entries would
probably negate the value of this.  If it adds 1 minute to the restart
time, that's time that could have been spent performing hundreds or
thousands of recursive queries that would have served the users *and*
refilled the cache with many of the important entries.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA