Newbie BIND 831

James Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Mon Mar 11 20:33:24 UTC 2002

Daniel Hunziker wrote:

> Hi
>
> I downloaded bind-src.tar File from BIND831 on my RH7.2,
> made "make",
> "make install"

If you did not run ./configure and change the default location, then the
BIND files are found in the /usr/local tree.

You should check the documentation that came with the tar file.  In
particular look at README and in the ./doc directory.

Run ./configure --help for some additional information.

> but now, there are no Files outside the Install<dir>. There should be a
> /usr/sbin/named, /etc/rc.d/init.d/named or any similar I think. I didn't
> find any hints in the docs or on www.isc.org.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/named script is a RedHat provided file (among
others.)

> Could please help me someone with a hint or a link to an usefull
> install-guide?
-
You may still be able to download bind-9.2.0-4.i386.rpm and
bind-utils-9.2.0-4.i386.rpm from one of the RedHat rawhide development
sites.