Resolving problems

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 17:36:30 UTC 2002

Darren Coleman wrote:

> I'm hoping someone out there will know what's going on here...

No, but I have a clue ;)

> A customer of ours recently expressed issues in being able to send mail to
> an address at "anchorvans.co.uk".  On inspection of our 3 nameservers (1
> primary, 2 cacheing) it seemed none of them knew the domain existed.  When
> queryed, the servers would all timeout.

> Anyone out there have any thoughts?

Okay tested all domains involved - all systems "A OK"

Figured - hey your mail program is probably issuing "dig
anchorvans.co.uk any" (Some MTA's ask for "any"). So I tried:

dig  @map1.dns.gxn.net anchorvans.co.uk any

and was surprised to see.....

;; Got bad packet: unexpected end of input
512 bytes
....Snipped HEX Packet dump....

dig from BIND 9.2.0 isn't perfect, but if it doesn't recognise a
DNS packet, I'd look at the packet first.

I haven't reproduced your specific problem with BIND 9.2, so
upgrading may be a workaround if you really need one, but then
again I haven't tried mailing anchorvans.co.uk.

I haven't remotely fingerprinted the DNS servers in question,
but it responds to version queries with a "referral", which
makes me think if it is BIND it is configured in an unusual way.

BCC'ed relevant hotmaster with observations.