Registering DNS Hosts

WebReactor Networks bind at webreactor.net
Sun Mar 10 18:23:03 UTC 2002

>> I learned this one the hard way.  To register a host (name server), it must
>> not only be registered with the registrar which the domain the host is to be
>> in is registered with, but it must be owned by the same registrant.  Boy,
>> that's a mouth full.
>
> That sounds fine.  I thought the question was about which registrar to
> register the host with.

Edited from the above quote: "...a host...must...be registered with the
registrar which the domain the host is to be in is registered with..."

To paraphrase: If you want to register a host ns1.mydomain.tld, and
mydomain.tld is registered with NetSol, then you must register the host
record for ns1.mydomain.tld with NetSol.

> Since a large ISP could be expected to host domains from a variety
> of registrars, there must be some system for registering a host
> with multiple registrars.  I don't know what the system is, but
> there must be one.

I don't know exactly how it works, but by registering a host with one
registrar all registrars have visibility to that host record.  This may be
simply be because they (all registrars) get the glue records from the
appropriate gTLD server.

For example: If you want ns1.mydomain.tld (from the above example) to be a
name server for yourdomain.tld, then regardless of who our registered
yourdomain.tld with you may do so.