Whence loopback A-RR's in zonefiles?

Rick Crelia rcrelia at cobaltgroup.com
Sat Mar 9 00:18:00 UTC 2002

According to Barry Margolin:

> So that users can use the name "localhost" to refer to the loopback
> address, instead of having to refer to it numerically.  I.e. the same
> reason you put *any* name in the zonefile.  "localhost" happens to be a
> very common conventional name for this address, just as www.<domain> is a
> very common name for your web server.

Hmmmm...

If I were king, I'd make you put it in your local network config files
before requiring it to be in DNS. Just seems odd that a loopback requires
publication...kinda' contradictory there.

I presumed it had something to do with some sort of ancient algorithm
from the early days of BIND and remained supported in later versions
due to inertia. Oh well, so I don't win the trivia contest this
week. :-)

Thanks to all who responded (Kevin, Barry, Peter).

--rc

 Rick Crelia                      rick at cobaltgroup.com
 Sr. Systems Engineer             Ph:  800-909-8244 x8293
 IT Hosting                       Cel: 206-396-9712
 The Cobalt Group, Inc.           Fax: 206-269-6350

 -= If it's automotive, and it's Internet, it's Cobalt! =-