New To Bind

Staven Bruce Staven.Bruce at valleyair.org
Fri Mar 8 00:24:36 UTC 2002

I've just set up BIND 9.1.3 on a new server running Red Hat 7.2. I've edited
my named.conf file, my rndc.conf file, my resolv.conf file and my zone
files. I have also downloaded the most recent named.root file. Everything
*seems* to be working OK, however, I cannot dig to a server without
including the domain name.

So a if I do this:
			#dig barnabyjones
I get this:
			;<<Dig 9.1.3 <<>> barnabyjones
			;; global options: printcmd
			;; connection timed out; not servers could be
reached

However, If I do this:
			#dig barnabyjones.ourdomain.com

I get something to the effect of this:

			;;Got Answer:
			;; ->>Header<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id
99988
			;;flags: qr aa rd ra: QUERY:1, ANSWER:1, AUTHORITY:
1, ADDITIONAL:1

			;;QUESTION SECTION:
			;barnabyjones.ourdomain.com		IN

			;;ANSWER SECTION:
			barnabyjones.ourdomain.com 259200	IN
CNAME
			extdns.ourdomain.com 259200		IN
A	192.168.99.0

			;;AUTHORITY SECTION:
			extdns.ourdomain.com 259200		IN
NS	192.168.99.0

			;;ADDITIONAL SECTION:

I think that's close to everything(I'm pretty much doing this by memory).
Anyway, I was thinking that perhaps my resolv.conf file is all wrong, but
I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me what the proper syntax for the resolv.conf
file is in BIND 9.1.3? Also can anyone confirm/deny that the resolv.conf is
where my problem lies?

Everything helps!

-Staven

Staven Bruce
Network Systems Analyst
San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District
voice.   (559) 230-6049
fax.      (559) 221-4270
e-mail. staven.bruce at valleyair.org