Registering DNS Hosts

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Mar 7 18:23:22 UTC 2002

In article <a68612$r1k at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
WebReactor Networks  <bind at webreactor.net> wrote:
>I believe Barry is correct, though I haven't tried deleting a host record
>while it is in use, so I can't be sure.

We have tried, and we couldn't.  We've been trying for years to get rid of
the host records for some of our legacy servers, to replace them with our
current servers.  We got NSI to do this for all the domains that were in
good standing, but if a domain was on hold they refused to update it in any
way, and this prevented us from removing the host records that it
referenced.

>What is interesting is that, even though the registrar requires each name
>server to have a unique name and IP address, the old name persist in the NS
>records for domains in *some* ccTLD servers (but *not* gTLD servers) after
>renaming.

As far as I know, the ccTLD registrars don't have any linkage with the gTLD
registrars.  No changes you make in one place will have any automatic
reflection on the other.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA