Hostname and NAT questions

WebReactor Networks bind at webreactor.net
Thu Mar 7 05:04:48 UTC 2002

David:

The "real" hostname of your server is irrelevant to BIND.  In fact, if
you're not doing dynamic updates, neither is the host's IP address(es).

So long as all slaves to this server are in the public address space
(outside your NAT'd network) you shouldn't have any problems.  For slaves
within your network, they will have to name the master's internal IP address
in named.conf (obviously), and you will need an also-notify statement in
named.conf on the master.

You asked for examples, so here's what I have...

For my domain webreactor.net the primary is ns1.webreactor.net with a
secondary at dns1.voteforfrank.org.  This is how it appears to the outside
world (run 'dig webreactor.net NS' for to see for yourself).

In reality, the primary is served by a host named "red".  There are two
secondaries: persia (internal) and dns1.voteforfrank.org (external).  persia
is a slave to red, dns1.voteforfrank.org is a slave to ns1.webreactor.net,
which is actually persia.

Nowhere in DNS will you see my internal network address space
(192.168.0.0/24), nor will you see the host names "red" or "persia".

Hope this helps.

  - John R. S.