Registering DNS Hosts

WebReactor Networks bind at webreactor.net
Thu Mar 7 00:12:22 UTC 2002

I learned this one the hard way.  To register a host (name server), it must
not only be registered with the registrar which the domain the host is to be
in is registered with, but it must be owned by the same registrant.  Boy,
that's a mouth full.

For example:

I want to register the host ns1.domain.tld.  The domain domain.tld is
already registered with Network Solutions.  Therefor I must register the
host ns1.domain.tld with NetSol, and I must have authority (be the "owner")
of domain.tld.

Why?  Because the domain domain.tld is already registered with Network
Solutions, therefore Network Solutions is in a position to authenticate the
validity of the host registration.  Otherwise I could register my own IP
address as the host 'ns1.ibm.com' through another registrar, thus adding A
records to the ibm.com domain at the gTLD servers, even though I have no
authority over that domain.

I have a domain registered with OpenSRS, and a friend of mine had one there
as well.  We wanted to rename his host (name server) from ns1.hisdomain.tld
to ns2.mydomain.tld.  Since he has no authority over mydomain.tld he could
not rename his host to be within my domain, even though both domains were
registered with the same registrar (OpenSRS).  Since I have no authority
over hisdomain.tld, I could not change his host record.  Solution?  We have
to transfer one of our domains to the other person so that both domains are
owned by the same authority (registrant), rename his host, and transfer the
domain back.

  - John R. S.