[BIND 8.3.1] 192.0.32.18/19 what's it's exact duty?

Joaquin J. Domens jdomens at corp.terra.es
Mon Mar 4 17:28:15 UTC 2002

Hi Nate thanks for your kind (and quick) response, it was what i was
thinking but more clear and with technical background.

        Thanks a lot

Nate Campi wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 05:30:56PM +0100, Joaquin J. Domens wrote:
> >
> > As I see understand these are some kind of "root servers" for inverse
> > mapping ..........my question is:
>
> Those servers are authoritative for "private" netblocks (see rfc1918).
> Don't confuse them with "root" servers, though I think you only used
> this term for lack of a better one, and you understand the difference.
>
> > What is the exact meaning of sending queries to this ip's ??????
>
> It means a client is trying to resolve DNS information relating to those
> netblocks, and your nameserver doesn't know any better than to go ask
> the blackhole DNS servers (see below).
>
> > Are inverse mappings that or dns haven't configured locally ?????
>
> This has been coming up a lot here lately. If you use "private" IPs, you
> need to provide the authoritative DNS service for those IP blocks. This
> is the same theory behind serving authoritative DNS for the localhost
> range: "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa".
>
> Hopefully Doug Barton will notice that this is missing from
> http://dougbarton.net/bind-users-FAQ.html and add it there. HINT HINT
> Doug.
>
> > It's a normal issue ????? may be it can be due other isp's wrong
> > inverses's ????
>
> Are your nameservers being used as forwarders for other nameservers? If
> not, then it's not very likely that other nameservers will ask for this
> information.
>
> > I'm worried about this because it's happening in dns's specific for
> > clients.
>
> I don't know what you mean here.
>
> > All our inverse mapping and stuff for internal working are on other
> > machines and they register less packets to the blackhole's than this
> > machine .......
>
> I dislike theorizing, but you work for the same company as me - so here
> goes: a client that does a lot of resolving (a mailserver or perhaps a
> host resolving HTTP logs, something like that) is configured to use this
> server for resolution. Simple as that. Turn on query logging to see
> which host it is, if you want to put a stop to the queries, though I
> would just setup the box with authoritative info for the private zones.
>
> Just about every network these days uses private IPs, so most
> nameservers that provide recursion need to provide answers for private
> zones.
>
> > Sorry for my english, but hope I've described it clear ..........
>
> Joaquin, you need my work phone number. Email my nate at wired.com address
> and I'll send it to you.
> --
> Nate
>
> "A C program is like a fast dance on a newly waxed dance floor by people
> carrying razors."    - Waldi Ravens.

Joaquin J. Domens
Área de Tecnología
Departamento de Producción / Aplicaciones
Terra Networks España S.A.
Julián Camarillo, 6
28037 Madrid, España
Tel. (34) 91-375 2384 Fax (34) 91-375 2320
joaquin.domens at corp.terra.es
Mercado Continuo: TRR |  Nasdaq: TRLY