problem testing with nslookup

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 17:10:49 UTC 2002

Stefan Demarmels wrote:

> > > Acording to my book (DNS and Bind --> O'Reilly) I should get for Server
> the

It give the reverse lookup of the nameserver IP it is connected
via, I believe although I don't "nslookup" often these days.

So 127.0.0.1 is either defined in /etc/resolv.conf as the first
nameserver, or /etc/resolv.conf doesn't exist and it defaulted
to local.

You have 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa defined, so if that zone file has
a record "1 PTR localhost." you might have got "localhost" back,
but perhaps your nslookup is different from mine in that regard
(One of the problems with nslookup is many vendors versions are
different).

> > > name om my machine back and for Address the Address of eth0 -->
> 172.16.0.4

"bind" maps to 172.16.0.4 in your zone file so that looks okay.

> $TTL 3h
> lai5p.ch     IN    SOA    bind.lai5p.ch    stevey.bluewin.ch    (

Trailing "."'s missing...

Try "dig @127.0.0.1 lai5p.ch SOA" and see what I mean.

>                                      1
>                                      3h
>                                      1h
>                                      1w
>                                      1h

Nothing wrong, but do you really want to cache "NXDOMAIN" for an
hour. This means when you add a host it could take an hour if
people tried to get it before it was ready. I fine my users
sometime have impatiently tried to use an entry before it is
added, or worse if you make a mistake on adding it
(disagreements on spelling that kind of thing).

> );
>
> lai5p.ch    IN    NS    bind.lai5p.ch
> lai5p.ch    IN    NS    win98ws1.lai5p.ch
> lai5p.ch    IN    NS    poolpot.lai5p.ch
> lai5p.ch    IN    NS    brunhilde.lai5p.ch

Trailing "."'s!

> localhost.lai5p.ch    IN    A    127.0.0.1
> bind.lai5p.ch           IN    A    172.16.0.4
> win98ws1.lai5p.ch  IN    A    172.16.0.2
> brunhilde.lai5p.ch    IN    A    172.16.0.3
> poolpot.lai5p.ch      IN    A    172.16.0.1
>
> lh.lai5p.ch                IN    CNAME    localhost.lai5p.ch
> bd.lai5p.ch               IN    CNAME    bind.lai5p.ch
> win1.lai5p.ch            IN    CNAME    win98ws1.lai5p.ch
> bh.lai5p.ch               IN     CNAME    brunhilde.lai5p.ch
> plpt.lai5p.ch             IN      CNAME    poolpot.lai5p.ch

Trailing "."'s

> > > If I do an nslookup from a different linux-machine on the net, nslookup
> > > 172.16.0.4, I get:
> > >
> > > Server:        miami
> > > Address:    0.0.0.0
> > >
> > > *** miami can't find 172.16.0.4: No response from server ***
> >
> > Incorrect resolv.conf?
>
> Acording to my syslog, my resolv.conf dosn't exsist.

Okay resolv.conf is just a list of nameserver to use (Using IP
address of course!)

You might want something like this on "miami" in resolv.conf.

search lai5p.ch
nameserver 172.16.0.4
nameserver 172.16.0.1

(I've assumed poolpot provides recursive name resolution, as
well as authoritative data for the "lai5p.ch" domain).

"DNS and BIND" is an excellent book, although if the DNS
protocols get any more bloated, we'll be needing an
introductory, and advanced versions of it soon.