Does microsoft DNS server support * aliases?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sat Mar 2 01:45:56 UTC 2002

In article <a5p3f2$60q at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Roger Birkeland <roger at wdesign.no> wrote:
>Does NT4.0 DNS-server support * alias in a proper way?

Two questions:

1) Why are you asking about a non-BIND server in the BIND group?  Aren't
   there zillions of microsoft newsgroups?  If there isn't one appropriate
   for this, how about the DNS newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains?

2) What's the "proper way"?  Although BIND implements wildcard CNAME
   records and even embedded wildcards (foo.*.domain), I can't find
   anything in the DNS RFC's that suggests that they're supposed to work.
   In particular, if you follow the algorithm in section 5.3.3 of RFC 1034,
   they should be ignored.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA