Views and two servers

Hawkins, Michael MHawkins at TULLIB.COM
Fri Mar 1 16:25:55 UTC 2002

I once asked this question and foolishly did not keep the answer. Sorry
people.

I have two bind servers. I want them to be primary and secondary for our
domains in a split DNS configuration so that using views any host on our
internal network gets answers from db.domain.internal and anyone on the
internet gets answers from db.domain.external.

I once asked this question and the answer came back that I should configure
two IP's one each machine and include one IP in the access-list for internal
and the second IP would hit the other however...

It does not matter how I configure the secondary it will always get the same
DB from my primary because it always uses the same source IP to talk to the
primary. The result is that both the internal and external DB's always end
up the same.

How can I configure my secondary to use one IP address for internal and one
IP address for external domains when talking to the primary?

My own solution, which I am trying as I write this email, is to...

configure a totally separate subnet (outside of 172.24.1.0/24) and set the
secondary named.conf to use the master IP that is on the separate subnet
thereby making the secondary use the source IP of its own that was also on
the separate subnet. This then allows the primary to see the secondary as a
different IP so that the secondary gets replied to with the different
database.

Am I right? Is this the only way? Does it work? Does anyone understand what
I'm saying?

Thanks

Mike H

<<Disclaimer>>

This electronic mail is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named
herein. Unless otherwise specifically stated, the views contained and
expressed in this electronic mail are strictly those of the individual
sender and are not the views of the Company or any of its Directors or other
employees. If you are not the intended recipient of this electronic mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or coping of
this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this electronic
mail in error please immediately notify us by return electronic mail and
delete this electronic mail from your system.