Bind 9 Limiting factors

Steven B. Parsons sparsons at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jun 28 17:51:04 UTC 2002

Jim - Thanks for not beating me up too much & the quick response :)

I have 7 bind 8 servers doing forward first to this bind 9 server.

What I really wish to accomplish is to have this server cache as much
data as possible so that when the other servers request info from it
the bind 9 server will allready have the needed info and not have to
go out to the internet and look it up (obviously unless it expired).

Im also trying to determine If I need to throw anymore HW at this box
to get better performance & more cached data & lastly if there are any
other setting I can change to do that.

Currently this is a caching only server.

I just find it weird that the box is only using 640 megs while I still
show more recursion's then success's in the logs but its not caching
anymore data even though the memory is available.

Ive had some bind 8 servers grow to 900megs before on the named process
with same HW & OS version.

Jim> Eh? What have views got to do with BIND9's "limiting factors"? And
Jim> what limiting factors are you trying to find?

Has nothing to do with it other then the fact Id be using bind 8 if it
had that feature which I will be using later.  Sorry to confuse.

Steven B. Parsons

success 23986641
referral 978
nxrrset 522683