Dynamic dns and Rogue Clients

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 19:43:26 UTC 2002

Martin McCormick wrote:

>         I have a copy of DNS and BIND 4TH Edition on order, but
> right now, all I have is the 3RD edition and a lot has changed.

Good as it is on dynamic DNS and other new aspects of BIND, the
clever stuff in the DHCP - DDNS relationship is all at the DHCP
server end.

So DNS and BIND won't enlighten you much on this topic, even in
the 4th edition, one of my few areas of disappointment with the
book is the lack of stuff on this topic.

Anything by Ted Lemon, and (including?) the DHCP documentation
is the stuff to read. I seem to remember a long explanation of
how to handle things like <spaces> in PC host names hiding in
the docs somewhere.

Alternatively if you can't guarantee client name uniqueness, and
correctness, and you like it simple, forget Dynamic DNS, and
just $GENERATE generic names for the DHCP address ranges.