how do i know the success of Bind Upgrade

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jun 21 23:19:04 UTC 2002

> in comp.protocols.dns.bind i read:
> >At 04:50 AM 6/18/02, those who know me have no need of my name wrote:
>
> >>   kill `cat /var/run/named.pid`
>
> >That's a bad habit too.  You shouldn't use signals.
>
> then the documentation should say they are deprecated -- it doesn't.
> the arm describes them as if they were normal and appropriate to use.
>
> | 3.4.2. Signals
> |
> | Certain UNIX signals cause the name server to take specific actions, as
> | described in the following table. These signals can be sent using the kill
> | command.
> |
> | +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | | SIGHUP        | Causes the server to read named.conf and reload  |
> | |               | the database.                                    |
> | |---------------+--------------------------------------------------|
> | | SIGTERM       | Causes the server to clean up and exit.          |
> | |---------------+--------------------------------------------------|
> | | SIGINT        | Causes the server to clean up and exit.          |
> | +------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> handling signals will never go away, at least i hope not as it is very
> useful (and sane) to have bind do a graceful, though perhaps fast, shutdown
> when the system is going down even rndc stop/halt couldn't be done (for
> whatever reason).  but if the development team does intend that people stop
> sending signals then a few words in this section would go a long way toward
> making that come true.

	No.  The "standard" set of signals is not going away.  What
	went away was using all the other signals for various control
	functions.  We don't recommend using signals but to get a
	working rndc connection it is useful to have a alternate
	means to reconfigure named other than killing the process
	and restarting.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org