DNS Entries with Port numbers

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Fri Jun 21 13:11:49 UTC 2002

No.  DNS cannot do that.  You will need to configure your web server to
redirect connections as necessary.

Dave...

|         |           Bruce Embrey     |
|         |           <embrey at hood.edu>|
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           06/20/2002 03:28 |
  |       To:       bind-users at isc.org                                                                                           |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  DNS Entries with Port numbers                                                                                |

Hi:

I have not found any documentation that specifies whether or not you can
associate a DNS record to a port #. For instance I have a webserver that
runs on port 7000, is it possible to do something like this:

voyager.hood.edu:7000           IN      A       144.175.2.16

Is this possible or will I need to enter http://voyager.hood.edu:7000 to
reach it?

Bruce Embrey

Bruce Edward Embrey : OpenVMS/Linux Systems Manager / Campus Email Admin. :
Hood College: embrey at hood.edu : Phone (301)696-3927 : Fax (301)696-3913