one zone file for virtual domains

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Thu Jun 20 19:20:48 UTC 2002

Karyn,

Try this:
;This is the "Generic" zone database file for all web sites referencing
198.182.157.5
; This zone database file is NOT for use with zones requiring additional
RR's

$TTL 1h

@                 IN    SOA   ns.calarts.com.   postmaster.calarts.com. (
                  2002042301  ;Serial
                  28800       ; Refresh
                  14400       ; Retry
                  3600000           ; Expire
                  1h )        ; TTL for Negetive Responses (see RFP 2308
Section 4)

@                 IN    NS    alpha.calarts.edu.
@                 IN    NS    muse.calarts.edu.

;Mail Exchangers

;Hosts
; A recoord for <domain>.com
@                 IN    A     198.182.157.5

;Aliases
; Alias www.<domain>.com to <domain>.com
www               IN    CNAME @

It is important to note that the zone database file above CANNOT be use for
the calarts.com zone, as it does not contain the A Records for the alpha
and muse name servers.  calarts.com would require its own zone db file,
however, the above could be used for all others.  Also, the above zone db
file does not contain MX records.  If all domains use the same mail server,
just add the MX records to the generic zone db file, otherwise, zones
requiring different MX records will also require seperate zone database
files.

By the way, the files you have below will not work for any other zone
except calarts.com becuase they contain explicit RR sets for calarts.com
zone data (i.e. www.calarts.com).  Aslo, as is, the zone db files don't
look like they have NS records for calarts.com, so, they probably would not
work all that well for calarts.com either...

Hope this helps.

Dave...

|         |           Karyn Williams   |
|         |           <karyn at calarts.ed|
|         |           u>               |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           06/20/2002 02:56 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  one zone file for virtual domains                                                                            |

We have a number of virtual domains that all point to one server. I am
wondering if they can all be put into one zone file ? Here's a sample of
what they look like now:

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA             calarts.com.
postmaster.muse.calarts.edu. (
                       167        ; Serial
                       14400      ; refresh every 4 hours
                       7200       ; retry every 2 hours
                       12096000   ; expire in twenty weeks
                       86400 )    ; default time-to-live
;
        IN      NS      alpha.calarts.edu.
        IN      NS      muse.calarts.edu.
;
calarts.com.            IN      A       198.182.157.5
www.calarts.com.        IN      A       198.182.157.5
redcat.calarts.com.     IN      A       198.182.157.5

$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA             macmame.net.
postmaster.muse.calarts.edu. (
                                164        ; Serial
                                14400      ; refresh every 4 hours
                                7200       ; retry every 2 hours
                                12096000   ; expire in twenty weeks
                                86400 )    ; default time-to-live
;
        IN      NS      alpha.calarts.edu.
        IN      NS      muse.calarts.edu.
;
; Domain information for macmame.net (Nathan Strum, Film/Video)

macmame.net.            IN      A       198.182.157.5
www.macmame.net.        IN      A       198.182.157.5

--

Karyn Williams, CNE
Network Services Manager