Strange subdomain problem in BIND

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 17 23:26:34 UTC 2002

> Lucas <thelucas at post.sk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > i would really appreciate your help on this issue, since I wasn't able
> > to find anything about this. So, this is the scenario:
> >

> > My server (ns0.mydomain.com) is set up as primary DNS Server for
> > www.mydomain.com. Everything seemed to work okay, until i tried to
> > create a subdomain, let's say mail.mydomain.com. I added a record into
> > the zone file,restarted the server .... and nothing happens.  Pinging
> > the subdomain from outside results in "host unknown". I tried it with
> > another domain, it works there! Could please figure out what could be
> > the problem?
> >

> > ; Zone file for mydomain.com
> >
> > $TTL 3D
> > @       IN      SOA     ns0.mydomain.com. office.mydomain.com. (
> >                        2002060801      ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
> >                        8H              ; refresh, seconds
> >                        2H              ; retry, seconds
> >                        4W              ; expire, seconds
> >                        1D )            ; minimum, seconds
> >
> >          IN      NS      ns0.mydomain.com.   ; Inet Address of name server
> >          IN      NS      ns2.someother.com.
> >          IN      A       11.22.33.44
> > mail      IN      A       22.33.33.11 ; THIS DOESNT WORK (points outside)
> > ns0       IN      A       11.22.33.44
> > www       IN      A       11.22.33.44
> >
> > Adding ANY subdomain for this domain results in failure. Any ideas?
> > Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm quite lost in this DNS problem.
> > I'm running BIND 9.2.0

I think maybe negative caching is at the root of the problem here. The negative
caching TTL for this zone is 1 day, so if you tried to query the name before it
existed, the nameserver you used for querying the name might have a negative cache
entry for 24 hours after that.

Try querying a "fresh" nameserver for the name.

Note that if you had provided the *real* name in your post, my conjecture could
have already been tested by now....

William Park wrote:

> Proper term is adding a host, not subdomain.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with that terminology. Technically every name in
the DNS hierarchy is a "domain", and "subdomain" is just a relative form of that
term (okay, so it wouldn't be correct to refer to root as a "subdomain", but it's
fine for every name besides that one). Not every name is a *zone*, of course. Is
that what you were thinking?

- Kevin