External queries fail on BIND 8.3.1

Six Wayz sixwayz at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 21:59:44 UTC 2002

Hello all,
I'm running a private nameserver on my network.  What it should be able to
do is answer the internal queries for my domain, and forward all other
queries to my ISP's nameserver.

Currently, querying my internal domain works fine.  However, when I try to
do an external lookup, I receive the SERVFAIL response.  The strangest part
is that I've been struggling with this for a while, and one day it finally
worked.  However, since a reboot, I haven't been able to get this running
again (no config file changes)

I'm running FreeBSD 4.5 with BIND 8.3.1 (from ports) if that matters.
Here's my /etc/namedb/named.conf (only most personal info has been removed
to protect the innocent!)

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        dump-file "/var/named/named_dump.db";
        datasize 2m;
        statistics-file "/var/named/named.stats";

        listen-on {
        192.168.0.1;
        127.0.0.1 ;
        };

        allow-query {
        192.168.0.0/24;
        127.0.0.1;
        };

        forwarders {
        ISP's nameserver #1;
        ISP's nameserver #2;
        };

        allow-recursion {
        192.168.0.0/24;
        127.0.0.1;
        };

        allow-transfer {
        none;
        };

        query-source address * port 53;
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.hints";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "pz/127.0.0";
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "pz/0.168.192";
};

zone "mydomain.org" {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "pz/mydomain.org";
};

Here's a sample output of dig on an external domain:
[root at router]# dig isc.org

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> isc.org
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 4
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      isc.org, type = A, class = IN

;; Total query time: 14 msec
;; FROM: router.mydomain.org to SERVER: default -- 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 12 23:35:01 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 25  rcvd: 25

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,