Port udp/1094 with BIND 9.2.1

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Fri Jun 14 19:04:50 UTC 2002

Bernhard,

Bind uses an ephemeral port number as the source port for its queries.
This can be changed with the query-source option...

However, by default, what you are seeing is perfectly normal.  Changing it
back to port 53 helps pass dns through firewalls and stuff like that.... :)

Hope this helps.

Dave...

|         |           Bernhard Schmidt |
|         |           <bschmidt at cyberne|
|         |           t-ag.net>        |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           06/14/2002 09:08 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Port udp/1094 with BIND 9.2.1                                                                                |

Hi everyone,

my freshly installed bind also listens on port udp/1094. I can't find
any comments neither in the documentation nor in google-groups what this
port is used for and how to disable it.

BIND 9.2.1 on FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE, sockstat says:

[...]
bind     named      352    8 udp46  *:1094                *:*
[...]

How can I disable this?

--
Bernhard Schmidt, Network Operation Center
Cybernet Internet-Dienstleistungen AG