Using Multiple CNAMES

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Thu Jun 13 15:07:07 UTC 2002

Gary,

Here is the jist of it:

Whatever is on the left side of a CNAME record cannot be on the left side
of any other records in the zone.

e.g.

OK:
whatever-here           IN    CNAME www.somedomain.com.

BOTH Of These are BAD because "whatever-here" is on the left side of the
CNAME record above.
whatever-here           IN    CNAME www.some-otherdomain.com.
whatever-here           IN    A           192.168.1.5

Hope this helps.

Dave...

|         |           "Gary Gladney"   |
|         |           <gladney at stsci.ed|
|         |           u>               |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           06/13/2002 10:47 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Using Multiple CNAMES                                                                                        |

Does anyone know what the potential problems might be using multiple
CNAMES.
We are using Bind 8.2.3 or Solaris, and I have a requested to do this.
After reading the book, all the has is it "violates the CNAME and other
data
rules".

thanks
gary gladney

--
------------ Computing and Information Services Division -------------

 Gary Gladney                            http://cisd.stsci.edu/support
 gladney at stsci.edu                               cisdsupport at stsci.edu
 voice: 410-338-4912                                             x4400
 pager: 410-681-2928 or gladney.pager at stsci.edu
 Public Key ldap://certserver.pgp.com

----- CISD: Your partner for computing and information solutions -----