RoundRobin DNS?

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Jun 12 19:14:50 UTC 2002

>     This is a first time I get a client big enough that needs this
> solution.  Imagine a scenario, that you have a web server that can't go
> down.  So you put it up at 2 different locations, say one in LA, other in
> NYC.  So if say the ISP in LA goes down, NYC should theoretically start
> getting requests for webhits.  That's what this client wants.  So how is
> this done, I'm not sure this is done with DNS at all, although its a
> possibility.  When I querry yahoo.com with nslookup, I get a few
> different ips. HOW IS THIS DONE?   Can someone please point me in the
> right direction?

DNS can do blind load distribution by varying the physical order of records
in an RRset (eg, multiple ip's for a www.domain/IN/A query).  But there is
in failover since visitors will be sent to an ip even if the web server is
down.

RAD Linkproof box (eBay, about $2k) can do intelligent load-balancing.  The
www.domain.com donmain is delegated to the Linkproof which responds to A
queries (but is not a full DNS) and which passes out short TTL A records
based on the Linkproof's evaluation of the response www servers.

Also google for fezhead.

Len

www.menandmice.com/DNS-training : DNS Training
BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND for NT4 & W2K
IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways