Too big serial - newbe, don't shoot please

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Tue Jun 11 19:45:26 UTC 2002

1.  Buy DNS & BIND (i.e. "The Book").

2.  Turn to page 152 "Starging Over with a New Serial Number".

3.  Follow the magical mathmatical formula for resetting serial numbers on
remote slave servers.

4.  Open ice cold beverage of choice and relax.

Thanks,

Dave...

|---------+------------------------------------------>
|         |           "ajb"                          |
|         |           <wonzespamembrudnya at wonzespamem|
|         |           interia.pl>                    |
|         |           Sent by:                       |
|         |           bind-users-bounce at isc.org      |
|         |                                          |
|         |                                          |
|         |           06/07/2002 05:55 AM            |
|         |                                          |
|---------+------------------------------------------>
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Too big serial - newbe, don't shoot please                                                                   |

Hi!

I've got a huge problem with an enormous serial number in one of my zone
files.
The number is many times bigger than any 32 bit number it's 500206071040.
Now the secondary servers don't want to update their zone files, beacause I
don't know how I should increase my serial no properly.
What should I do to get back to a resonable serial number value?
I use bind 8.2.4

Please help! (a link to some kind of FAQ is OK too)
Adam