What could have caused the following error?

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jun 5 23:55:37 UTC 2002

> 	After upgrading to bind9.2.1, things were going perfectly
> until one of our name servers put the following messages in to
> the log:
>
> Jun 05 15:56:07.315 listening on IPv4 interface fxp0, 139.78.x.x#53
> Jun 05 15:56:07.315 could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
> Jun 05 15:56:07.315 creating IPv4 interface fxp0 failed; interface ignored
> Jun 05 16:56:07.329 listening on IPv4 interface fxp0, 139.78.x.x#53
> Jun 05 16:56:07.329 could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
> Jun 05 16:56:07.329 creating IPv4 interface fxp0 failed; interface ignored
>
> 	That's pretty much how the cat died so to speak.

	Well you either start named not as root or the interfaces
	went away and were re-configured and you a are running with
	"named -u uid ...".

	Named needs to have a socket on each interface/address it
	receives queries on in order to get the source address of
	the reply correct.  It will also notice if a interface goes
	away.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org