Cisco Pix drops UDP packets larger than 512 bytes

Jean-Christophe Smith jsmith at publichost.com
Mon Jun 3 19:25:08 UTC 2002

RFC 1035

2.3.4. Size limits

Various objects and parameters in the DNS have size limits.  They are
listed below.  Some could be easily changed, others are more
fundamental.

labels          63 octets or less

names           255 octets or less

TTL             positive values of a signed 32 bit number.

UDP messages    512 octets or less

4.2.1. UDP usage

Messages sent using UDP user server port 53 (decimal).

Messages carried by UDP are restricted to 512 bytes (not counting the IP
or UDP headers).  Longer messages are truncated and the TC bit is set in
the header.

Jean-Christophe Smith
Senior Software Engineer
VitalStream