Blind secondary copy..

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Mon Jun 3 16:30:40 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 12:13:19PM -0400, Thomas Kiblin wrote:

> Is it possible to configure my secondary server to just suck/pull any
> domains on the primary?
>
> I'm looking for a way to not have to touch the secondary servers each time
> I add a new domain to the primary, and would like the secondary server to
> just pull any domains listed on the primary.

This question comes up her from time to time. The short answer is no,
there is no support for this defined in the protocol itself.

Folks have built any number of schemes  for accomplishing the goal,
though. You can have your primary and secondary named.conf files
generated from a template and then pushed via an rsync script, or, even
better, cfengine or whatever you use for configuration management. (You
*are* using a configuration management system, aren't you?...) Another
system people use is to configure a dummy zone (say, zones. ) on each of
the servers, populate that zone with TXT records only, and have a script
periodically parse the zone and build named.conf based on its contents.

-Pete