Security vulnerability in Bind9.2.1?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Jul 6 04:33:07 UTC 2002

At 12:59 PM 7/3/02, Bjorn Johansson wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I was notified of the security vulnerability in Bind, link below:
>
>http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-19.html
>
>According to this announcement, Bind9.2.1 is vulnerable.
>
>Is this in fact so?

BIND 9 named is NOT vunerable. Only the resolver library, libbind,
is vunerable.

>If so, is there a new version available for Win2000/WinNT?
BIND 9 on NT/2000 is NOT vunerable and the BIND 9 resolver library
libbind.dll  is not available on NT/2000. Local applications use Microsoft's
library which Microsoft has said is NOT vunerable to this problem. The
tools the come with the Win32 kit are not vunerable as they do not use
libbind.

Danny