[ESA-20020724-018] Buffer overflow in BIND4-derived resolver code.

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 30 15:25:23 UTC 2002

Shujaat Nazir Khan <snk at cyber.net.pk> wrote:

> Hello,

> We are runing Bind-8.2.4-REL on our Solaris based dns. I need to confirm
> whether the library libbind is still vulnerable for Bind-8 or not and
> also do I need to upgrade my dns for the same or not ?

> Thanks with kindest regards,
> Shujaat Nazir Khan
> System Support Engineer
> Cyber Internet Servcies (Pvt.) Ltd
> Pakistan.

Yes, your resolver code is vulnerable.

This is not a nameserver problem per se, but is located in the
resolver ( part of libc ) + all your statically linked binaries
that has resolver code within.

The proper upgrade is from sun.

A decent workaround exists, install bind-9 and make shure that
all your clients uses bind-9 servers.

bind-9 "rebuilds" the packets received from other servers, thereby
eliminating the infected packets ( this is what i have understood from
the messages from isc).

bind-9 is available in source from isc.org, several "ready-torun"
packages are available from "http://www.sunfreeware.com/"

--
Peter Håkanson