'Page cannot be found' after hosting switchover

James Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Mon Jul 29 21:18:21 UTC 2002

wojo wrote:

> hi,
>
> i need some help please. recently (2 months ago) we switched hosting
> services and until now some of our customers are getting 'page cannot
> be found' errors randomly on our site.

Any idea what the domain name is?  I will guess that it is
"wietecha.com".

> we are sure that this is not a software related error but DNS error.
> it looks like our DNSs did not propagate completely.

Why are you sure?  You may be right, but what is your evidence?

> is there any way to check if we are having DNS problems accross the
> internet?

Yes, here is one of them.

Doc-2.2.3: doc -v -p wietecha.com.
Doc-2.2.3: Starting test of wietecha.com.   parent is com.
Doc-2.2.3: Test date - Mon Jul 29 17:08:47 EDT 2002
Note: Skipping parent domain testing
Found 2 NS and 2 glue records for wietecha.com. @a.gtld-servers.net.
(non-AUTH)
Using NSlist from parent domain server a.gtld-servers.net.
NS list summary for wietecha.com. from parent (com.) servers
  == ns16.cphosting.com. ns17.cphosting.com.
soa @ns16.cphosting.com. for wietecha.com. serial: 1003861038
soa @ns17.cphosting.com. for wietecha.com. serial: 1003861038
SOA serial #'s agree for wietecha.com.
Authoritative domain (wietecha.com.) servers agree on NS for
wietecha.com.
ERROR: NS list from wietecha.com. authoritative servers does not
  === match NS list from parent (com.) servers
NS list summary for wietecha.com. from authoritative servers
  == ns16.cphosting.com. ns17.cphosting.com. ns7.myhostdns.com.
  == ns8.myhostdns.com.
Checking 0 potential addresses for hosts at wietecha.com.
  ==
Done testing wietecha.com.  Mon Jul 29 17:09:20 EDT 2002

Do you have old (stale) data in the zone at myhostdns.com?

Jim