really large zone files

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 26 21:29:07 UTC 2002

Steve Price wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with using BIND with really large
> (in the millions or ten of millions of A records) zone files?  I'm
> in the process of building a bogus zone file so that I can test
> things out but if anybody has been there and done that I'd really
> appreciate hearing from them.

The real question is why?

If you were a mobile phone company planning to put all your
subscribers into a flat namespace, I'd still think you were mad,
but I'd appreciate why you had 10 million records.

The largest routine use large zones other than .COM is I suspect
the relay blocking lists, one day they will realise they can
break IP addresses up by octets, and split their 17 MB zone into
250 smaller zones.

BIND tries to keep everything in memory, Bill is right this
could require a 64bit architecture, you'll be pushing some 32bit
systems. I'm sure less memory hungry solutions exist.