VERY strange problem with DNS

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 10:12:57 UTC 2002

Alessandro de Manzano wrote:

> >       Update / delete the host record for MASAMUNE.PLAYSTOS.COM.
>
> you mean phsically modify this:
>
> masamune        IN A    195.250.253.136

Only at your registrar, not in your own servers.

> Now I removed the "www in cname masamune", substitued with "www in a
> 195.250.253.136"

Did it work around it okay?

> could you, please :), explain me what exactly could be happened ? I
> honestly have not fully understood...

The .com servers maintain the record "masamume.playstos.com IN A
194....", they only maintain these kind of records to provide
glue (IP address for other nameservers), which solves the
chicken and egg situation that often exists in DNS delegation.

".com" nameservers can't say goto "ns.example.com" for
"example.com" answers, unless it also tells you the IP address
of "ns.example.com"

For some reason they have a stale version of this record, the
".com" admins (not you) must correct it, but if you don't tell
your registrar they will never know.

Look up "dns" and "stale glue" in a search engine for further
enlightenment.