Limits to subdomains

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 17:22:49 UTC 2002

Nate Baxley wrote:

> I'm setting up a site where I want to give each user thier own subdomain.
> So for example, I would setup a subdomain for myself as nate.mysite.com
> and that would point to the nate subdirectory.  I've got a hosting company
> that sets this all up for me and I'm not concerned about how to set it up.
> My concern is on the number of these I can create.  Assuming the hosting
> company doesn't care how many I use, or can be paid not to care, what is
> the limit?  I read in an article at webmonkey that the limit was 127 but I
> know lots of hosting companies that offer this service and they must have
> more than 127 customers.  What do you all think?

Read your webserver manual.

You don't even need to create DNS domains to achieve this for as
long as the webserver is correctly configured you can probably
use a wildcard in the DNS for this.

Obviously DNS can have at least as many subdomains as are in the
".com" domain.

My ISP offers this type of service, at one point they had
160,000 subdomains, I have no idea how many they have now.