AW: RNDC with BIND 9.2.1 under Win2K

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Jul 21 13:46:01 UTC 2002

At 07:42 AM 7/21/02, M=FCller, Ralph wrote:

>Hi Danny,
>
>I'm not quit sure about rndc. The only thing I need is a normal
>DNS-forwarding. I found several informations in the web about BIND 8x NT
>with some control panels. In the BIND 9x version I do not find these.
>
>What des rndc and named do and witch conf-file is therefore needed. Is=
 there
>an example somewhere who to configure my easy problem on an NT and XP box?
>
>Ralph

You need to read the release notes.  Did you read readme1st.txt?
BINDCtrl is obsolete and is replaced by rndc in BIND 9 which is the same
as the used on Unix. This has nothing to do with forwarding.

If you a running DNS and it's not behind a firewall, just a basic named.conf
file is all that is necessary. If you are behind a firewall and need to=
 forward
requests for queries just add:

options {
forwarders {10.10.10.10;};
forward only;
};

Read the readme1st.txt file for details about how to configure rndc.  You
need to run rndc-confgen to generate the rndc.conf file and add the controls
to the named.conf file. Just read the notes.

Danny