IP addresses in NS records seem to be breaking hostname resolution

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 17 20:12:35 UTC 2002

David Botham wrote:

> [...]

RFC 2181 is clear on this: authoritative data from the zone itself is more
"credible" than (ranked higher than, replaces) data from referrals.
Throwing away authoritative data based on some heuristic (e.g. "all-numeric
names look suspicious") and falling back to referral data, is clearly not
conformant with the RFC. Zone maintainers already have plenty of ways to
shoot themselves in the foot; this is just one example among many, and is
in the long run self-correcting.

This is an operational problem. Lets not break the standards trying to work
around it.

- Kevin