Caching only servers

Georgeson, Evan [NCSUS Non J&J] EGeorges at NCSUS.JNJ.COM
Wed Jul 17 01:03:36 UTC 2002

Kevin,

	Sounds good, will do. The very last question I have on this is...the
options max-cache ttl and max-ncache ttl are both overwritten by the
zone file values. Does adjusting these really have a noticable
impact? Note: my previous max-ncache ttl value was 1 day, I've since
changed that to 1 hour. Would the max-cache value of 2 hrs be
appropriate in your opinion (absolute last question...unless your
response inspires me.)? Thanks again for your advice.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Darcy [mailto:kcd at daimlerchrysler.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 8:49 PM
To: bind-users at isc.org
Subject: Re: Caching only servers

If you're that short of memory, then it's going to be a narrow margin
between being too aggressive and keeping too much data resident, on
the one hand, plus hitting up the CPU all the time to do cleaning,
versus, on the other hand, not cleaning aggressively enough and
having your virtual memory fill up with unused or little-used cache.
You could play with it and try to hit the "sweet spot" between those
2 extremes. You could also try playing with max-cache-ttl (the evil
twin of max-ncache-ttl), which will give your nameserver more
cleaning opportunities, at the expense, of course, of increasing
query latency times for data that were cleaned out of the cache
prematurely.

- - Kevin