Problems after 8.3.3 upgrade

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Tue Jul 16 23:40:50 UTC 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Nick Hengeveld wrote:

> Since upgrading to 8.3.3, we have been experiencing problems with our two
> corporate nameservers resolving certain hosts.  The only hosts reported
> have been those in the yahoo.com domain which are cnames to akamai.

akamai name servers have problems with EDNS requests. By default, bind
8.3.3 sends EDNS probes to name servers when starting a lookup sequence.
However, in my experience BIND 8.3.3 generally falls back to non-EDNS
queries and then everything is happy. The behavior you describe below is
quite odd.... are you 100% sure that you're running 8.3.3 on your
resolvers?  I ask because:

>   ; <<>> DiG 9.2.0

If you are using 9.2.0 by chance, you should definitely upgrade to 9.2.1.