Security vulnerability in Bind9.2.1?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jul 3 19:51:19 UTC 2002

Bjorn Johansson <bjorn-bind at loud-n-clear.net> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I was notified of the security vulnerability in Bind, link below:

> http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-19.html

> According to this announcement, Bind9.2.1 is vulnerable.

No. Read it carefully.  The Resolver is vulnerable. ( the resolver
in not in the nameservers itself, it's located in system libraries
and/or applications that call the nameserver)

Resolver code is shipped together with bind, and all versions
from bind seems vulnerable. Those who wrote their own _may_ be safe.

( a lot of folks has grabbed the bind code, sometimes they do not
admit it. Assume you are vulnerable until otherwize proven)

The solution is to upgrade your resolver code ( usually contained
in libc ( libc.so)

A workaround is to make use of bind-9 as resolving nameserver ( the
nameserver that the clients ask), as bind-9 is reported to "normalize"
the attack-packets. Thus replace your current nameserver with bind-9.2.1

> Is this in fact so?

> If so, is there a new version available for Win2000/WinNT?

Yes, bind-9.2.1 is available for download.

--
Peter Håkanson