funky result when I do an nslookup for the MX record

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 16 20:08:03 UTC 2002

Colin <cweiner at firstam.com> wrote:

> I apologize for not including the real IP’s and domains named in
> the original post – I’m a but to paranoid sometimes.
> Anyway, here is the original post with the real IP’s and
> hostnames (and I use dig instead of nslookup for now on):

> I'm setting up a DNS server for sspca.org.  sspca.org’s DNS and
> mail is currently handled by quiknet.net.  The plan is to host our own
> DNS so we are going to point our domain name (sspca.org) to our new
> DNS server but we want to keep using quicknet.net's mail server and
> web
> server for a week of so.  I created records for the web server and it
> works fine.  I created a MX record for the mail server but get a funky
> result when I do an nslookup for the MX record:

>> set q=mx
>> sspca.org
> Server:  66.134.44.139
> Address:  66.134.44.139

> sspca.org       preference = 0, mail exchanger = smtp.quicknet.net
> sspca.org       nameserver = nicholas.sspca.org
> nicholas.sspca.org      internet address = 66.134.44.139

> Notice there is no address for smtp.quickent.net.

> My question(s) is: Will this cause any problems?  Why is the address
> for smtp.quicknet.net not displayed when I do an  nslookup for the MX
> record?

The address is not displayed since you did not ask for it. Asking for it
will give :
> dig smtp.quiknet.com.

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> smtp.quiknet.com.
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      smtp.quiknet.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
smtp.quiknet.com.       1D IN A         207.183.225.56
smtp.quiknet.com.       1D IN A         207.183.225.57
smtp.quiknet.com.       1D IN A         207.183.225.58
smtp.quiknet.com.       1D IN A         207.183.225.60

Additionaly, i would use a higher preference then zero, this to
be able to create one with higher preference in emergency.

--
Peter Håkanson